Saturday, March 5, 2016

Communication=Essential

While there are many things I have found out/learned as an intern at First Data this semester, one of the most important things is the crucial nature of communication. My position is one that requires directions from those above me. I am given assignments and I can not move on until my supervisor gives me a new one. I have found that there are two types of communication: clear and correct, and open and honest. Clear and correct information mostly pertains to the actual work. Due to a miscommunication about particular sites and links I almost started on the wrong project, however, since I communicated my hesitancy to start on the link sent to me (because something did not look quite right) the mishap was avoided as I, and my supervisor, communicated affectingly to resolve the mistake, The other form of communication, the one that is open and honest, may seem easy and common knowledge at first. However, I am not referring to moral or ethical issues or concerns that need to be communicated about, but the simple open communication that should happen between co-workers. I am not a shy person, however, when I am unfamiliar with the dynamics of a space/among people (as I still am in this office) I am hesitant to approach situations as my personality normally dictates. Yet, I decided this week to be bold and step out of my comfort zone in making a request I normally would have put off for fear of inconveniencing anyone. The results of these communication decisions, clearly, panned out just fine this week, and I can say that I have started on a path of open and honest, and clear and correct communication with my supervisor and the rest of the intern team.

No comments:

Post a Comment